"so she’s gay now?"
yeah she turned in all the paperwork last week and her acceptance letter came this morning, it was all pretty sudden
it’s ironic because this is actually the process for mainstream society to recognize you as trans
- more asexual representation
- less Sad Lesbians and more Happy Lesbians
- more trans representation
- non-binary representation beyond genderless robots in sci-fi films
- BETTER AND MORE QUEER REPRESENTATION
So I’ve been sitting on this gifset for a while, trying to think of how I want to parse this.
Maybe I’m following the wrong blogs, but I just do not see enough meta about Natasha’s story arc in this movie. This scene here is, to me, one of the three critical moments for Natasha that are the reasons she ends up being the one to release all of SHIELD’s data to the world.
As follows (quotes paraphrased as I don’t have the script):
- The first critical moment comes on the Lemurian Star, right after Batroc throws a grenade at her and Steve. They end up sitting on the floor and she says, “Okay, that one’s on me” and Steve replies “Damn right it is.” Her reaction to that isn’t disdain or frustration with Steve, it’s very clearly a form of disappointment — she’s upset with how Steve views her, his opinion of her. Sure, I’m reading a lot into that expression, but I think it is pretty masterful of ScarJo to show that side of Natasha in such an ambiguous way. The take-away here, however you want to describe it, is that Natasha’s unhappiness has less to do with being nearly blown up than with her working relationship with Steve. He doesn’t trust her, and that burns her.
- The above gif’d scene, where it’s clear that she’s pretty shocked and upset to hear Steve admit that previous to their current situation, he would NOT have trusted her. It’s a blow for her to realize just how she’s been perceived by those she’s given her complete trust and faith to.
- The scene where Fury’s survival is revealed is the final one, where Natasha reacts as if to a body blow when she realizes that Fury didn’t trust her, but he did trust Maria Hill. Earlier when he was “dying” it was clear that she’s somehow emotionally attached to Fury, and whatever reason you want to concoct for that, the fact is that she clearly believed that he did trust her…but he didn’t. My opinion of her reaction shot at the reveal is that she’s not angry about it, she’s heartbroken.
What I believe this all points to is really well reflected in her line to Steve, “I don’t know everything, I just act like I do” (paraphrased), and then reiterated in the truck ride where she talks about being the person she needs to be, as opposed to who she is.
In other words, Natasha is so good at being “whatever you need me to be” that it is exactly what the people who know her best expect of her, and accordingly don’t feel like she’s trustworthy because they don’t know the “real” her. Meanwhile she has been operating on the belief that they do know the real her and so therefore do trust her.
It’s like…a double blind situation, where both parties aren’t privy to the truth, even though they think they are. Everyone up to and including Fury “knows” that Natasha is a spy and nothing she says can be trusted; Natasha “knows” that the people she trusts see through that mask and trust her in return because they know the real her. She goes around in this movie constantly surprised and disarmed by the fact that her closest friends/co-workers doubt her loyalty.
So in the end, when Pierce is asking if she is ready for her past to be revealed, she is so fucking ready it hurts. She knows it is the right thing to do, but putting that on top of the experiences given above, it’s easy to see that she felt she had to do it for herself too.
Can she be trusted? You’re damn right she can, and she was willing to burn down her entire world to prove that fact to the very people she thought knew it already.
WE FUCKIN HID FROM spectredeflector UNDERNEATH A FUCKING SINK LIKE WE WERE CONTORTED CIRCUS CLOWNS
hey kitsu remember when
Imagine everyone who sends you anon hate as a 12 year old superwehrolock fan who didn’t get a good breakfast and can’t find any good apps for their phone. The neighborhood kid across the street doesn’t like them as anything more than a friend, and they are anxious about the 7th grade and what new challenges it will bring.
"Ace Hardware: No screwing, just lots of screws."
"Ace Hardware: Nail your roof, not your partner."
"Ace Hardware: For when it really is just a hammer in your pocket"
One of my friends wanted to see a photomanip of the ace hardware logo in ace flag colors, and then I thought of these terrible puns, so here you go.
At first I wasn’t going to reblog this but then I saw it again and just started laughing
my two favorite things: asexuality, and puns
and those puns are literally the best
I NEED more asexual puns
those are indeed the best
"Ace Hardware: Lube for your motor, not your junk"
"Ace Hardware: Erecting buildings, not your penis"
"Ace Hardware: Where nuts aren’t genetalia"
"Ace Hardware: The hammer is not our penis. Its just a hammer."
"Ace Hardware: Where muff, is short for muffler"
"Ace Hardware: Yes that is a hammer, but we’re still happy to see you."
"Ace Hardware: You can get Off™ in our repellent aisle”
- I have a donation page because people sometimes like to show their appreciation for what I do. Running this blog is time consuming. I have two jobs and I’m in college, with bills to pay and shit to do. I like doing this, but it’s nice to be able to buy a coffee while I work on content because someone donated $5 a few days ago.
- The texts are public domain. They are all from textsfromlastnight.com. Similar blogs like this can be found all over tumblr. I suggest you go find them (and tfln) before acting like the fact that I made something funny is an egregious lapse in ethics.
- I don’t “slap bad text on images”. That’s like saying a judge’s entire job is to bang a gavel. I choose a text from my submission inbox, find HQ screencaps of the character I want to use or the character the person who submitted it thinks it’ll fit, download them into Photoshop, edit the images for color, depth, balance, and clarity, tweak the levels, the saturation, and the contrast, crop the image to make sure it doesn’t look like shit, balance the text, weight the text, SPACE the text, add the outer glow layer style, go through my color wheel of swatches to find the color that will go best with the overall scheme of the image while still matching the character color designation (do I want warm or cold orange for this screencap of Natasha?) place the text, mess with the placing, decide if center, left, or right aligning the text is going to work the best, get everything settled, save it, and upload.
- I ran this blog on my own for like six months before anyone started submitting already-made images. The majority of the content here is mine. I have 978 images saved as of right now to my TFTA folder on my drive. Nine hundred and seventy eight. Which means I personally have made almost a thousand of the images on this blog.
- If you don’t like my blog, the unfollow button is right there. Don’t send me stupid messages like this and don’t let the door hit you on the way out, motherfucker.
Making texts is frickin’ time-consuming y’all, respect the art
Normally I don’t engage with reblogs, I just read them, but this one was so entitled I couldn’t resist. I’m so sorry. Cannons engaged, y’all.
I’m sorry, what part of “two jobs and college" did you not understand?
I wake up at 6:30 AM. I clock into my job at a litigation firm at 8:15 AM and I do not leave the office until 5:30. I get home at 6:15, depending on traffic, and then I go for a run. When I finish showering and eating, I clean the kitchen with my brothers because my mother cannot be assed to get off the computer and do it herself. I then drag myself upstairs at 10 pm, get online, finish any and all homework assignments, and then if I have time I throw up some stuff for this blog.
And that’s just a Monday. I work in the office Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I attend three AD/PR classes Tuesdays and Thursdays from noon to 5 PM at the University of Central Florida, where I have to arrive two hours early because holy hell the parking is shit out there. On the weekends, I work at a local supermarket as a front end clerk. Most of the time I don’t get home until midnight. And then it’s back up at 6 AM for another stint in the office and we start all over again.
And for your information, I updated two days ago, and the incredible lifesaving queen-daisy shot me one 21 hours ago. So I have actually updated within your little hyperbolic parameters of “weeks”.
But OH NO you’re RIGHT forgive me for HAVING A LIFE OUTSIDE THE GOD DAMN INTERNET and NOT UPDATING every FIVE SECONDS for YOUR ENTERTAINMENT. IT MUST BE SO HARD FOR YOU :(((((